Monday, April 25, 2011

What have I been up to since last post?

Hey guys,

Sorry it's been so long. I decided in January that I would update you all more often by typing up blog post while at site, and then posting them when I had the opportunity. Well, that totally ended up failing when my computer went on the fritz in mid January. In addition to my computer crapping out on, my camera also broke, so I really had no motivation to post anything. WELL, Momma and Daddy Bell totally went above and beyond the call of amazing parenting and hooked me up with a new camera, computer, and my BlackBerry! Needless to say, life in Burkina just got a whole lot better for me!

That's not to say life in country was miserable or anything--sorry if any of my letters or correspondence made it sound that way--it's just so easy to get frustrated here. My projects are all over the place for the most part at the moment because of student striking, and government worker striking and other random stuff that we--as volunteers-- have no control over. It's all good though, because things are back to life as usual, and work is starting to pick up again.

My main project is to work in the community to help lower the number of unwanted pregnancies. I plan on taking a multifaceted approach to helping achieve the community-identified need of lower the number of unwanted pregnancies. We will be establishing a school supply bank, as well as coming up with extra-curricular activities for the students to participate in. Hopefully, we will also be able to plan a summer camp for the kiddos. Summer here is something completely different than what we think of, so all I can do is hope that it works.

I will also be working with parent/teacher organizations to help improve the actual school grounds. We will be working on school gardens, school chicken coops, and things of that nature. I also have other kick ass projects going on, but I'll devote a whole post to that.

All in all, I must say, I have been very happy here in Burkina Faso. Yes, there are a great number of things that I miss from home, but those things a side, life isn't bad here. We are gearing up for another stage(training group) this June, so that is exciting, especially because I have been selected to work it! I really don't know what to write... I guess I now see my life as boring, because I have been here for so long.I'm going to go a head, and close this post, but if you have any questions what so ever, feel free to comment, and I will make sure to answer your question in another post.

Till next post,

Ebb

Oh yeah, totally forgot... I created a Facebook album for all the random photos I take with the BlackBerry. I suck at loading pics and what not, but at least this way, you can see them as I take them.

No comments:

Post a Comment